Re: [OM] A usage report on Gary's test slide - and Acer Scanwit

Subject: Re: [OM] A usage report on Gary's test slide - and Acer Scanwit
From: Jez.Cunningham@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:40:44 +0200

Chuck (Tom, Gary...)
,
A couple of questions arise from my side:

First, concerning slide profiles: as all slides are meant to be projected
without any color correction, there shouldn't be any need for different
profiles, should there? (Print film is different, and the manufacturers tell
you what filtration to use in
your enlarger and how the paper will respond - equivalent to color profile for
a scanner).  In practice of course there is a small variation (even
batch-to-batch) which is why people think one type of slide film is too green /
too red / <insert your
opinion> but do the manufacturers agree?  If so, I suppose they think it's a
good thing - and would likewise think that scanned prints should also have the
same color cast...

Second, concerning 24-bit / 36-bit: doesn't this refer only to the number of
bits of info available to accurately specify the color?  And nothing to do with
resolution which really concerns the pixel separation?

Happy to be disabused of my take on things...

best regds
Jez

I must have missed that post. I just dropped Gary a note asking to buy one.
Not sure I understand what to do with it, but I'll ask, I guess, when I get
it.

Tom