Re: [OM] 40/2 lens hood/flair

Subject: Re: [OM] 40/2 lens hood/flair
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 13:23:10 -0700
Winsor wrote:

I don't really think Olympus takes hoods seriously, except for the one on the 35-70/3.6 which adjusts the angle depending on the focal length. If the hood is perfect on the 40/2, that is, it blocks all light from outside the the diagonal angle(56 degees) of that lens then it allows the 24 degree 100mm to be flooded with light outside its field of view. The other thing that is half-a--ed in my opinion is the variability of attachment including screw in(the wide angles), clamp on(50/1.4), slide out(135/2.8) and bayonet(35-80/2.8). My 1964 Leica M3 had bayonet hoods that attached quickly and easily, the same way for all the lenses, and each one seemed to be carefully designed for the focal length and not to block the rangefinder windows. Maybe Mr. Maitani, realizing that effectively shading the lens with a hood is a crapshoot anyway, decided that it was better to shoot without one and pay attention to the light falling on the lens with every shot than to spend a lot of effort on something that even with the best design would not be effective in every instance anyway. I know I paid more attention when I shot without a hood than I do now. So you get afterthought hoods for those, like me, who insist on them.

Hmmm, we disagree on just about everything here. I think the accessory Oly hoods that I have (8 models) are well designed and matched. Two of the lenses for my Texas Leicas (Mamiya 6) have bayonet hoods and I find them significantly more fiddley to attach than screw-on hoods. I'm not crazy about the clamp-style but, at least for some w/a lenses, I can see how they were necessary to prevent vignetting while remaining small. The fact that I can nest several round hoods makes them a better option than rectangular hoods with very little trade-off in performance.

The 40mm hood is what makes that lens a joy to use (*much* easier adjusting f-stops). And they nest together, retaining the compactness. However, I do find the 40mm suffers from flair when shooting into the sun -- no hood can solve that -- so don't.

Clyde,

I guess we do disagree in some areas and I almost did not reply because I am so awed by your skills as a photographer.

I just don't see how you can say that a multi-purpose hood that does an effective job on a 40 mm lens is "well designed and matched" to a 100mm lens. It is better than no hood at all on the 100, but not by much. I suspect that you as a photographer you are always aware of the limitations of your equipment and you compensate automatically. The less skilled among us hope we are getting a little insurance from flare with our hoods.

I agree that the Mamiya 6/7 bayonet hood is fiddly compared to a Leica design which just slips around the end of the lens barrel and the little fingers clamp onto the groove designed into the outside of lens barrel for them. Simple. No arrow alignment. No turning. I think that if screw threads were easier we would all be using screw mount lenses.

The clamp-on type goes around the lens barrel like the Leica bayonet. Both avoid vignetting. But the attachment is so lame. It has to be the ultimate in fiddly. It has all the elegance and ease of use of a radiator hose clamp on an automobile. The only thing missing is having to use a screwdriver. Compared with the elegantly designed camera/lens combination it is designed for it sure looks like an after thought.

I agree with you about round v. rectangular hoods. Nesting would require that they should all be one or the other. I have no experience with rectangular hoods but it seems to me that correct alignment to avoid vignetting would require a design that would be fiddly to use. So I would also vote for round hoods with their minor performance trade off.

But, all this is small stuff and none of this will prevent making good pictures as you have proven over and over.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California