RE: [OM] Should I buy an 85/2?

Subject: RE: [OM] Should I buy an 85/2?
From: "Timpe, Jim" <Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:41:14 -0700

>> OK, I'm contemplating an 85/2, but I already have a 90/2 and the 100/2.8.
I know the 85/2 is lighter (by far) than the 9=
>>90/2, but I'm looking for opinions.  Is it worth the $150-200 for such a
lens?  How is the performance wide-open?

>> Skip

>You're asking the wrong group. It's like asking the frat brothers if you
should
>have another beer.

>Paul

Paul states it pretty well.  I have the 85/2 and the 100/2.8 and much prefer
the 85, size notwithstanding.  Can't speak to the 90.  I've shot the 85 wide
open with quite acceptable results, haven't really toyed with the 100 much
at all (perhaps that alone answers your question at least with regard to 85
vs 100 comparisons).

I love the 85 for portrait compositions... great focal length, and the speed
of this lens makes indoor use very 'doable' sans flash.

IMHO of course,
Jim