Re: [OM] Re: Vibration in Telephotography

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Vibration in Telephotography
From: Marcin Kost <kosta@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:11:22 +0200
Hi !!
In my opinion main vibration source is your hand (shooting  without
using a tripod).
When you shoot faster then 1/focal length (eg.1/250 sec. for 200 mm
telephoto) the vibrations effect on film shouldn't be visible.
The mirror and shutter vibrations are more important by using time
between 1/15 to few sec. in such case the vibration could be visible.
By very long exposure times more than 20 or 30 sec. the vibration
decline after one or two sec and it has no major influence on the
visible effect.
Regards
Marcin

DAVDOU9211@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Fellow Zuiks,
>
> Question -  Is there a shutter speed at or above which the vibration
> of the
> mirror(s) flipping up and the shutter traveling from open to close
> will be
> inconsequential?
>
> Using an OM-4t which has a top speed of 1/2000  and a high speed
> film,  one
> should be able to get up over 1/500th.  Does that do it?  Put another
> way, is
> there a lower shutter speed at which the vibration(s) become
> problematic and
> thus pre-fire of shutter and mirror should be used?
>
> If one is shooting a moving target such as an animal in the wild or at
> a zoo,
> setting the self-timer in motion to achieve pre-fire after framing the
> shot
> necessitates that the animal not move for about 20 seconds or so.
> That's a
> long time.
>
> So, what is the consensus?
>
> Dave Dougherty