Re: [OM] [OT] Quoting garbage, part 12, 864

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Quoting garbage, part 12, 864
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:33:28 -0500
Cc: zuiko@xxxxxxx
At 10:09 PM +0000 6/6/01, olympus-digest wrote:

2. People with older email packages SHOULD upgrade older readers. Download
or buy a newer version. If your service provider doesn't allow for html
enabled readers--get a REAL provider or email complaints to them.  If the
email reads fine in the subscription mode but the digest trashes the html
messages out, ask the list maintainer if they can get a utility that will
strip out all the html tags before building the digest. (Do ALL digest
members have this problem or just a few?)

One of the recurring themes on this list seems to be that it ain't the technology (let's see, what's the word -- oh, yes, "wunderbrick"), but what you do with it.

So why does my mail-reader have to handle HTML just because it's possible? I can read perfectly well -- in fact, better -- without blinking green 14-point Arial text and animated icons and all that HTML-tag junk that some other mail readers leave behind. I don't want to wait on my 56K connection to download some useless .GIF file in someone's sig file, either. Give it to me straight. I can take it. :-)