Re: [OM] OT: Voigtlander lenses, Zorkis List?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Voigtlander lenses, Zorkis List?
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 13:05:44 +0100

It's russiancamera@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - or try
to s*bscr*be at www.yahoogroups.com

>      Are the 50/1.5 and the 85/2 good practical lenses (the Jupiters)?

I haven't got the f1.5 but it has a good reputation, as has the 85/2, one of
which I have but haven't yet seen the results.

Everything I get to know about the Kiev 4 system goes into my Kiev-4 page on
my website - www.keithberry.telinco.co.uk

>       BTW, many Leitz lenses, older, have not aged well due to
> 'clouding',
> something to do with a previously Leitz glue that decomposes.  I
> believe this is only true for the older Leitz screwmount lenses and
> not those from Canon, Nikon and Russian made.  This makes them
> often a better practical choice from a performance/price basis.

I now have 14 Russian lenses (12 of them 50s!) and although they are of
variable quality in the metal and iris departments, I have yet to see one
with anything wrong with the glass, which is always sparkling clean, unlike
the rest of the camera! One of mine came with a green filter that I couldn't
see through, but the lens behind it was immaculate.

>      The Russian lenses are such a great buy.  You can put a rangefinder
> outfit together for a few hundred dollars, not thousands like with the
> Leica M system.  To close, there even some Zuikos in screwmount!

Yes, I saw one on eBay but I wouldn't bid on it because it was at a time
when I was buying Kievs and fighting the temptation to buy a screwmount
camera. Eventually I failed, and now I'm trying to resist buying a medium
format one.

Regards,
- Keith