My moniker (was Re: [OM] Donation)

Subject: My moniker (was Re: [OM] Donation)
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 01:48:41 -0300
On 6/1/01 9:38 PM, "Roger Wesson" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Could Fr. possibly stand for 'frugal'?  I think he's got a better claim to
> the word than Frugal Dacey, who, I believe, has yet to explain how he
> acquired the tag...

Alright already, we'll delve into an embarrassing part of my past (well not
that bad). Just realise that I was 15 at the time.

In grade 10 one of the guys I hung out with was really into words. He'd
always walk around carrying a dictionary and would be constantly looking up
different words (<sarcasm>yes, I ran with a really hip crowd</sarcasm>).

Anyways, one day my group of friends caught on to the word frugal and
started using it all the time (incorrectly) to mean anything cool. One day
they were teasing me and said that I was "frugally challenged" (ie, uncool).
That was quickly shortened to Frugal, and just happened to stick.

It got to the point that by grade 12 a lot of my friends had trouble
remembering my real name (since I had been introduced to them as Frugal) and
at grad a number of them had to catch themselves when the introduced me to
their family.

After high school I could have probably dropped the name without too much
difficulty but I didn't really mind it so I continued to use it.

Frequently, I'll spell it with an umlaut on the u. First, this would then
signify a a greater stress of the u sound and also I think helps indicate
that it doesn't have anything to do with the actual meaning of the word
frugal. In email, I tend not to do this because of concerns about people not
being able to read it.

So there you have it!

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey