[OM] 35-70/80/85 F2.8 zooms

Subject: [OM] 35-70/80/85 F2.8 zooms
From: "Erwin Voogt" <photovoogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:06:40 -0000
Cc: jenkinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, erwin.voogt@xxxxxx
Hi,

Dave wrote:

A wee query for you all.  I'm hoping that someone out there has used both
the Vivitar Series 1 35-85 f2.8 and the Zuiko 35-80 f2.8, and can answer
question for me, the reason being that I've got the aforementioned enormous Vivitar, and whilst I'm more than happy with the sharpness, the bokeh isn't the greatest, and doesn't compare to either my 135/2.8 or my 65-200/4. <snip>
I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile saving up for the super
Zuiko, or should I extend my outfit with a 300/4.5, which I've also been
considering, along with a 2nd OM body, (probaby an OM-2).
<snip>

I have also considered buying the Zuiko 35-80 mm F2.8, but I finally bought the more than 5x cheaper Tokina ATX 35-70 mm F2.8. Imho the Zuiko zoom is extremely overpriced, especially because it has a major drawback: a severe distortion. So, even if money is not an issue at all, the quality of the Zuiko zoom is disappointing at that point. I took some brick wall pictures with the Tokina zoom and they show hardly any distortion, not at 35 mm and not at 70 mm! The quality of the Tokina is excellent and the bokeh is very good. It is also a smaller lens than the bulky Zuiko 35-80. Unless you have a very special purpose at which your Vivitar will fail and the Zuiko zoom will succeed, it would be a strange idea to buy the Zuiko zoom instead of the Zuiko 300 mm (and saving lots of money for other nice Zuikos like the 21 mm of the 90 mm!). If you want the best quality, you can better use primes. They are cheaper too. Just my opinion.

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands

PS. New pics on the block: Central America
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html