Re: [OM] OM10, erratic shutter

Subject: Re: [OM] OM10, erratic shutter
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 06:43:55 +0000
The clue for me:  It was a "closet camera" for 10 years.

I'd bet dollars to donuts that a sluggish shutter is the "oily magnet" problem. It's the classic situation (stored for years) with the classic symptoms.

Try firing the shutter several hundred times (without film) in rapid succession . . . using a manual adapter at 1/1000th if you have one for it. If the shutter seems to improve to normal, leave it wound (shutter cocked) overnight. If the problem returns at least partially the next day, fire the shutter again several hundred times and see if it improves again. If so, this pretty well confirms "sticky magnet." If it doesn't exhibit this behavior, it's still very likely a sticky magnet as you can't conclude it's not from this. Cleaning the magnet is not that difficult a repair. Very likely it could also use a foam door/mirror seal replacement as the foam goes gummy or dry rots with age. Also not that difficult a job.

-- John