Re: [OM] (OT) Weston Master V

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Weston Master V
From: "Steve Gullick" <Steve.Gullick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 21:00:05 +0100
Hi Chris.

I own and use one of these - I also have a Sekonic and a Gossen, but the
Weston is my favourite by miles. It is supremely accurate and, when you get
to know it, very easy to use.

I assume that you know how to set the ASA via the little;e button on the top
left?

Do this then take a reflected reading off something by pressing the side
button in, pointing it at your subject and then releasing the button. The
needle will lock on the correct 'number'. Use the RED pointer on the top
dial to line up with the number indicated and you can then read off the
exposure - speed on the very outside dial and aperture on the inner dial.
The exposure value window is for older cameras with exposure value
indicators, this is pretty much redundant now.

On either side of the red pointer there is a brown indicator. These are
extremely useful as they mark one stop over and one stop under exposure. Use
this marker instead of the red pointer if you wish to compensate for
exposure - also, if you are using a filter with a '2x' exposure factor,
simply use the '2x' indicator on the dial instead of the red pointer. The
other two brown markers are indicated as 'U' and 'O'. These are designed to
show you the approximate limits of latitude.

You do have an invercone when taking incident light readings?

Good luck, if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
It's a great tool, just takes a bit of getting used to.

Steve