RE: [OM] Your pictures / NG Photography Field Guide

Subject: RE: [OM] Your pictures / NG Photography Field Guide
From: Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 19:44:19 +0200
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Chris,

> Thank you!  I appreciate the compliment.  However, those scenics were
> taken in Canada, as that's where I live.  Cori and I hope to take a trip
> the States one of these days, but not for the next couple of years.

Oops... I just had a quick look at your pictures and didn't read the
comments. A typical mistake from this European moron: bears + rivers +
forest = USA...

>> Recently I bought the National Geographic Photography Field Guide.
>> An excellent book. A "must have" for everyone I think! There were quite
>> some "eye openers" in it on all topics: people, landscapes, architecture,
>> etc.

> Sounds very interesting!  Do you have an ISBN number and title for it?

It was already mentioned on the list, wasn't it?
Anyway, here it is: 0-7922-7498-9.
On the cover it mentions the following prices: US$24.95, Can$36.95.
It can be ordered at Amazon.

> I'd like to see if I can pick it up.  I have a couple of technique books,
but
> they're too large to be used in the field.  I'd like to get a good one for

> carrying around in the camera bag.

The book is rather small: 21x13x1.5 cm. The nice thing about it that it
covers everything from basic photography (what is aperture) to advanced
techniques (how to make pictures underwater). The *realy* nice thing is that
several NG photographers tell how they make pictures and what they think is
important. For example the type of quotes I found very enlighting:
"Landscapes. [...] Making great pictures is primarily a mental process. To
begin with, think about the essence of the place. [...] Study the scene to
find elements that you can emphasize to get the feeling across. [...]"

> Thanks, again, for the compliment!  Have fun, and...  Keep shooting!  :-)

I will!

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands (= wooden shoes, windmill and tulips... ;-)
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html