Re: [OM] Zuiko 55/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 55/1.2
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 07:59:18 -0700
Hank Hogan <hogant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote about his Zuiko 55/1.2:
>As far as fungus and radioactivity goes there just isn't enough
>radioactivity to even be measurable by anything except the most sensitive
>of instruments.  I tried with several standard Geiger counters and could
>not read anything above "background radiation".  There is simply not enough
>radioactivity to deter fungus.  The only thing you can do is to keep the
>lens clean and dry.

Then you don't have a radioactive 55/1.2.  A standard Geiger counter
should easily detect the radiation from a radioactive 55/1.2 or 50/1.4,
as it is several hundred times the background level.

It appears that the gamma radiation isn't sufficient to prevent fungus
growth, since I have a 50/1.4 that is radioactive and fungusy, but there
isn't any growing on the radioactive element itself.  If the glass emits
alpha particles (helium nuclei), then I'd bet that fungus won't grow on
the radioactive element, since alpha particles cause much more damage
than gamma rays.

Mark Marr-Lyon