Re: [OM] Zeroing out OM10

Subject: Re: [OM] Zeroing out OM10
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 23:20:30 +0000
At 00:33 5/11/01, Arun clarified his question:
Thanks guys,

Bear with me as I don't know a huge amount about SLRs,
but at the class pretty much every other camera could
call up a meter with readings ranging from negative to
positive - most by pressing the shutter release
halfway down. When this meter reads zero, the camera
is "zeroed out", at the correct balance between
aperture and shutter speed for the image. The OM10
appears to have no such mechanism.

No, the OM-10 doesn't. The "single digit" bodies (OM-1[n], OM-2[n,s], OM-3[ti] and OM-4[T,ti]) do. The 1's and 3's are completely manual and always work that way. The 2's and 4's have Manual and Auto Exposure (AE) modes and need to be in the Manual mode to work that way.

In AE mode, as John Hermanson mentioned, the camera will always try to keep the metering "zeroed" by adjusting the shutter speed automagically as you change the aperture. It _will_be_ zeroed if shutter speed required is within the entire range of what the camera can provide (highest speed is 1/1000th for the 1's and 2's and 1/2000th for the 3's and 4's). Same applies to the OM-10 which was designed primarily for AE operation. Turn on your OM-10 in AE mode outdoors and look through the viewfinder as you turn the lens aperture ring. You will see the shutter speed shown in the viewfinder change as you change the lens aperture.

You still do not lose control in AE mode as you are selecting which combination of aperture and shutter speed will be used. If you want to deviate from the shutter speed the camera would use for a given aperture (they are aperture priority), you can move the exposure compensation dial. For nearly all my photographs I concern myself mostly with desired aperture for depth of field control within a range of shutter speeds acceptable for the subject material (and focal length if hand held . . . to reduce effect of camera shake).

If you want complete manual control and have the manual adapter for your OM-10, you can use it as I posted earlier which "zeros out" the metering. The difference is you don't have a "match needle" or graphical display that shows a "zero" but you're effectively doing the same thing.

Hope this helps.
-- John