Re: [OM] Old camera whoas continued.

Subject: Re: [OM] Old camera whoas continued.
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:42:39 -0400
When a camera is dropped hard enough to crack a body casting (and it WAS
dropped), all body focus dimensions change, also  the rest of the body can
be twisted.  That can't be fixed.  Installing a "replacement " casting  is
very time consuming, especially if it's a bare casting where all parts have
to be transferred over from the old casting.

I recently got an OM-2 with bad impact.  I  put a screwdriver in the slot by
the self timer, between the bottom cover and front casting.  When  I twist
the screwdriver, a large gap opens up along the edge running vertically next
to the self timer lever.  That gap shouldn't be there, it should be  one
piece of metal.  Another  tip off was the large space (2 mm)  between the
front  shutter speed dial gear and the mating gear under the circuit board.

All in all,  you have a more reliable camera if you just buy a replacement
camera.  BTW, I only look at Olympus cameras.  And even with an Olympus bod,
if it's cracked, it's finished.

John  Hermanson
http://www.zuiko.com
Camtech, Olympus Service since 1977.
21 South Lane,  Huntington NY 11743-4714
Phone/fax 631-424-2121
Free Olympus Manuals: 1-800-221-3000