re: [OM] Old Camera whoas

Subject: re: [OM] Old Camera whoas
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 21:02:11 -0700 (PDT)
Clendon Gibson wrote:
Recently my non Olympus was declared beyond repair by a local camera
repair shop. Now this puts me in a quandry. My Olympus 2n is about the
same vintage, and could easily have the same fate any day now.

Should I continue to collect increasingly rare lenses and other
accesories, or chuck it and get a new camera system where the parts
will be available for the rest of my life (probably).

Shall we have a vote on it?
Clendon,

The fate of your non-Olympus camera has no bearing, of course, on the
future of your OM-2n, although I can understand your misgivings.
However, you need to provide further information, including:

- Your age
- Whether you have owned your OM-2n from new or, if not, for how long
- The condition of your 2n (are there any ominous symptoms?)
- Your current commitment to OM (extent of your Olympus OM gear)
- Your willingness to commit the necessary funds to buy something as
good as OM or better (IMHO, the only candidates are Leica or Contax, if
35mm - anything else would be a disappointment)

If, at one extreme, you are 25 years old, you bought your ageing OM-2n
a year ago and it's now showing signs of severe wear and tear, you only
have a couple of OM-mount Hanimex lenses for it and you're dying to
lash out on a Leica R8 or Contax RTS III, plus a set of lenses, then
I'd say go for it and good luck. I, personally, would not recommend
Olympus OM to a young person unless (s)he is already a raving
Maitaniac.

If, at the other extreme, you're over 55, you've bought your OM-2n new,
you've kept it in immaculate condition, you have half a dozen good
Zuiko lenses and you'd hate to have to cough up for a Leica or Contax
system, then I'd say stick with what you've got. Nothing else will
satisfy you.

The 2n is probably the most reliable of the OMs and it's still
maintainable, should the need arise. In fact, why not send it to John
H. for a CLA right now, if you're worried about it? A stitch in time .
. .

Regards,

=====
Ray