Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas

Subject: Re: [OM] Old Camera whoas
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 18:07:20 +0000
At 18:20 5/9/01, Clendon Gibson wrote:
Recently my non Olympus was declared beyond repair by
a local camera repair shop.

Many shops have a flat policy of not working on cameras beyond a certain age. Anything older than that is declared non-repairable.

If it is something comparable to an OM-1, OM-1n, AE-1[P], etc., there are shops that will work on "vintage" cameras. You just have to find one; hopefully that specializes in the make/model. They are around, but there's not a dearth of them. Working on the older gear tends to be a specialty, as with John H. and Clint who work on the OM's.

I know of about four or five shops around the U.S. that can still work on my 50 year old ZI Contax IIIa. Several repair shops contacted shortly after I acquired it told me it has been non-repairable for a long, long time. One went on to tell me it should have been chucked into a dumpster decades ago for a "real camera," one that's new and modern [plastic] with a googol of features [that I would never use] to do everything for me except press the shutter release. An inquiry among the users of them got the names of the shops that still repair them. :)

-- John