[OM] 28-48mm f/4 S Zuiko variations? [was: [OM] Gary's lens test...]

Subject: [OM] 28-48mm f/4 S Zuiko variations? [was: [OM] Gary's lens test...]
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 12:18:14 -0700
Erwin V. wrote:

>One of my favourite and highly under estimated lenses is the Zuiko
28-48/4.
>It is a lens that only gets B's in the SQF.

Sorry about this, but I just uploaded (without changing the date, duh)
my final Type I film tests, which includes OM-2S based tests of:
28-48mm S Zuiko
35mm f/2.8 MC
24-48mm Tamron SP
35-70mm f/4 S Zuiko (35 and 70mm only)

You'll now find some A's for the 28-48mm, but you'll find very different
(worse) distortion info. I think we should be on a quest for identifing
two to three production versions of the 28-48mm - they might very well
exist.  If confirmed, this might be another candidate for having been
outsourced by Olympus.  It would help to start by reporting some
physical comparisons of ones in the serial number ranges of:
100,000 to 102,000
107,000 to 110,000
115,000 to 119,000
Anyone want to look theirs over for us?

As always, thanks to the lens lenders. I was sent other lenses to fill
the gaps of lenses which had only had OM-1 based tests, but the film I
bought turned out to be Type Fujichrome 64T II.

I've wanted to "retire" the OM-1 based tests as problemmatic, but folks
have written me in rebuttal. One problem might remotely be that I had
mirror misalignment in one of the two bodies I used, although I never
noticed anything with an infinity focus check. Rest assured, the OM-2S,
OM-4, OM-4Ti based tests are on bodies that have passed bench
examinations and are my workaday cameras. The OM-1 bodies are probably
long gone.

Quote for the day:
Photography: it's a miracle it works as well as it does.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV