Re: [OM] shutter speed accuracy

Subject: Re: [OM] shutter speed accuracy
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 23:30:02 EDT
litefoot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Sorry to bring up an old topic. How are you able to tell that the shutter
>  speed on your cameras as you ay below are not accurate? Is there I can do
it
>  without expensive equipment?
>
>  Thanks and regards

There is a rough and easy (but not entirely accurate) way. With no film in
the camera, set the camera on manual shutter speed, take off the lens and
open up the back. Put the camera up to the monitor. At 1/30 and 1/60 you
should be able to see the whole screen, at 1/125, half the screen, at 1/250,
one-quarter of the screen, and so forth. But because of phospor persistence
properties of your monitor the 1/500 and 1/1000 speed checks probably aren't
accurate. You should be able to hear your camera slow down for 1/15, and a
bit slower for 1/8. 1/4 sec you should be able to time it in your mind as
well as any slower speeds.

HTH

Warren