[OM] OT: B/W prints from colour negs

Subject: [OM] OT: B/W prints from colour negs
From: "Jim L'Hommedieu" <jlamadoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 22:18:54 -0400
Yeah, in my experience you'll poor results if you try using polycontrast
paper especially!  The paper's nearly insensitive to amber (the safelight's
color, naturally) and the contrast changes in the other colors.  Whew!  What
a mess!

The solution, I've been told, is to use a special panchromatic paper.  I'm
not sure if this stuff is tuned to see through the C-41 mask or not, but it
does at least respond equally to all colors.

Alternately, you could use scan and desaturate if you're digitally inclined.
But then, your fingers won't smell like acetic acid for days.  (I actually
miss that.)  :)

Bernd noted:
>I tried this, but the results are quite poor due to the lack of black and
white contrast. In addition, the film base material is orange or reddish,
which means even worse conditions.

All the best,

Lama