[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2378

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2378
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:11:48 -0500
> Wasn't there a Nikon back that produced a larger image - called a
> Speed-Magny or something like that?
Yup. There were actually two models, the Speed Magny 100, which produced 3
1/4 x 4 1/4" prints on Polaroid 107 and 108, and the Speed Magny 45 that
produced a full 4x5 image, and could be used with either 4x5 Polaroid or cut
film. Each attached like the motor drive, after the removal of the back. The
image was relayed through a "field lens" to a mirror, 90 degrees down,
through a 50/2.8 El Nikkor lens  (I remember as a child spending Saturday
mornings at the movie theatre, watching the El Nikkor serials), through
another mirror 90 degrees to the front, and onto the film. The film holder
hung under and in front of the body. It was, to say the least, ungainly.

I hear many of you thinking, boy, do I want one of these! Before you get too
excited, listen to this: lenses less than 200mm are not recommended, as
vignetting and edge softness will occur. The effective focal length of a
200mm is, with the 45, 820mm, and with the 100, 640mm! This makes the D1
seem benign. Other lenses may be used, as the coverage differs in strange
ways. The 50 1.2 and 1.4 serve adequately, while the 50/2 is unsuitable. The
85/1.8 and 105/2.5 are acceptable up to f5.6

The exposure must also be adjusted. Polaroid 107, ASA 3000, is metered at
ASA 170 with the 100, and 150 with the 45.

Someone somewhere must surely have found a use for this unique device. I use
a Polaroid back regularly with my Hasselblad, and find the 6x6 image useful,
but quite small. It is good for checking lighting, for weird shadows or
reflections, and general composition. Polaroid is not much good for checking
critical exposure, as most has tremendous latitude, or color balance.

> On the other hand I think imagesetter is printer for output "B/W film" for
> offset printing. The Lightjet 5000 should be a laser printer that "print"
> RGB beam onto traditional photo paper.

In the trades, an imagesetter is a device that takes Postscript files from a
computer, usually PageMaker or Quark, and prints them out on lith film, from
which a printing plate is burned. For less discerning uses, direct plates
can be produced.

A lab owner friend just showed me some output from a digital printer he is
considering. It takes PhotoShop files, and prints them to standard c-prints
(that paper is better than reversal papers, due to better contrast control).
There are several on the market now, and at least one other is on the way.
These use either some sort of laser system, or a CRT to expose the paper. I
saw the results from a CRT based unit and was amazed! The prints were as
good as I had ever seen.

These machines are made for intensive use, he's wanting it for large orders
of 500 or more prints from a file, and the prices for these machines mean
they will be generally dedicated to volume use. It is unlikely any of use
will be using this service anytime soon. The days of the skilled handprinter
are not yet at an end, but if I were a young lad, I probably wouldn't
consider color printing as a career, but I think all the bright young lads
are already specializing in PhotoShop, anyway.

Someday, I'll learn the meaning of "be brief."

Bill Pearce