Re: [OM] [OT] now architecture, was -> Guess the auction

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] now architecture, was -> Guess the auction
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 21:00:32 +1000

>Canberra was designed by one of my favorite US Prairie School architects,
>Walter Burley Griffin and his architect wife, Marion Mahony Griffin. Some of
>the work they did here in the US is just stunning. I love it.

I don't think you could describe Canberra as Prairie Style or Colonial
Style - more brilliance reinterpreted by bureaucracy. Unfortunately, people
have to live in it (ever see The Fountainhead?) He did do a housing scheme
in Melbourne which is also neither style but is excellent - and is now
under threat from urban sprawl.
AndrewF