Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 20:32:38 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/01 5:02:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>snip<
> If I had to start again, I'd choose something like an old Kodak
>  Retinette, meterless and with no rangefinder, using just my eyes and brain
>  to estimate distances and the memorised extended Sunny 16 chart for
>  exposures. It has a good D-o-F scale with a detailed focus ring that most
>  modern lenses, even Zuikos, lack. The most important thing is that you
don't
>  learn the ingenuity necessary to overcome your equipment's limitations if
it
>  doesn't have any!
>
>  I enjoyed my early days immensely and I learned because I was interested,
>  and I stayed interested because there was enough to occupy me to prevent me
>  from being bored.

I agree, Keith.  That's the exact same camera I picked up in '66 in an Army
PX for $44, I think.  Still have it.  Takes great pics with its
Schneider-Kreuznach 45mm/2.8 lens.  I got a "feel" and interest for
photography from using this neat little camera that carried over to the
OM-1MD.

Rich