Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography

Subject: Re: [OM] How to start teaching a 9-year-old photography
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 09:22:22 -0500
I am tempted to start my soon-to-be 9-year-old son with OMPC in program mode, but I am doubting the wisdom of this. One wants him to have a good initial experience with photography and then at a later time figure out about exposure, DOF, etc. But one can have lots of bad experience even with a program/auto mode camera. What makes auto or program modes really successful is the understanding of when and why those modes are OK to use, and one gets this knowledge more infallibly from working a manual camera and learning when you can and can't trust the meter. So I think I'll start him on the OM-1.

Joel W.

From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
inspired by Tom's photo excursions with his daughters, I have decided to
give my oldest nephew his first real camera for his 9th