Re: [OM] Polariod Olympus?

Subject: Re: [OM] Polariod Olympus?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 11:17:17 -0700
digital back would be nice, but we've already heard the bad news on that before... :(

If some third party can build Polaroid backs, it seems like a third party could build digital backs for various cameras. It just has to be profitable. Even to just match current digital camera development would probably be more costly than a new high end digital camera like the E-10. Are you willing to pay for it?

Related to that is an interesting site I found this week end which is probably not news to some of you, but it was to me. It is http://www.users.qwest.net/~rnclark/scandetail.htm It is a large page with lots of photo and takes a while to load if you use a modem as I do.

Clarke, a pretty good photographer from the look of it, does a lot of interesting work on the page comparing film formats, scans, digital camera images. The following are some of his conclusions based on some evidence on the page.

"From these tests, it is my opinion that digital cameras will match Fujichrome Velvi 35mm film when they reach more than about 10 megapixels. Somewhere in the 12-16 megapixels will produce color image quality comparable to 35 mm film (this is a compromise of more intensity detail and less color detail than film). Somewhat fewer megapixels, approximately 7-8 Mpixels will match 35mm film intensity detail but at below 35mm film color detail.

"Medium format film: about 50 digital camera megapixels are need to match Fujichrome Velvia in 6 x 4.5 cm.

"Large format: more than 200 digital camera megapixels are need to match 4x5 Fujichrome Velvia film. How much more needs further testing. "

Take a look.  It is really an interesting site.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California