Re: [OM] Air freight shipments - UK to Canada

Subject: Re: [OM] Air freight shipments - UK to Canada
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 15:23:57 -0600
On 29 Apr 2001, at 14:06, John Hudson wrote:

> Are there any particular recommendations or warnings about air freight
> shipments from the UK to Canada? I am looking to use UPS or FEDEx for a
> small quantity of photo equipment. I have been told by FEDEx that they
> charge 50f the Canadian customs duty as their brokerage fee. I assume
> that UPS does much the same thing. Can anyone confirm that this has been
> their experience.

Do NOT send anything via UPS.  Sometime ago, UPS charged me
CDN$33 for "brokerage fee" on a parcel that was valued at CDN$100.
The parcel hadn't even been opened and inspected.  When I protested, I
was bluntly told, "Don't pay it.  We'll sell your parcel to recover our
costs."  I haven't dealt with UPS since then.

Of course, this is just my personal experience.  YMMV, yada yada.
But, it will be a cold day in hell before I send (or have sent) anything via
UPS.

Question....  Why not just have it sent by Her Majesty's Postal Service?
 FedEx (and others) are gonna charge you an arm and a leg.  Surely the
British Postal System has some sort of Express Post service?

Just wondering....

Regards,

Chris

---