[OM] OT: USA to Australia transactions

Subject: [OM] OT: USA to Australia transactions
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 08:24:20 -0700
I just did a transaction from US to AU and ended up sending a Western
Union wire which is expensive. However I did find out some information
which might benefit you Australian or other members not in the US. I
explored using PayPal to send the money to AU but at the moment PayPal
only converts from $US directly to Canadian pesos, British £, French
francs, and German marks. I think AU will be added soon.
But... Australians can use a PayPal account as an offshore account in
US$. They can accept payments in $US and use the same $US to make
purchases in any of twenty-some countries. There is no fee for this and
no money exchange fee since the account stays in $US. They make money by
not paying interest on this account. So if you balance your sales and
purchases an account like this may be a very convenient way to handle
offshore transactions. I believe that you could make payment to PayPal
in $US if you wanted to buy more than you have in your account. Also
when PayPal starts to convert to $AU the exchange fee is a very
reasonable 20r so which is at least as good as a credit card.

Mike