RE: [OM] Auto Connectors

Subject: RE: [OM] Auto Connectors
From: "skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 09:54:00 -0400
Cc: "NadinaTony@xxxxxxxxxxx" <NadinaTony@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Tony,

The other messages in this thread address (and very well) the OM solution, with
it's expensive TTL connectors.  But since you're using an OM1n, you might want
to condsider another option.

If you don't plan on buying an autoexposure OM body, you should consider going
the old-fashioned PC synch cord route.  You could buy any dirt-cheap flash and
use a PC sync cord to the OM1n's X-Sync socket.  Or you could buy one of those
slave units, put the T20 on the camera, and fire another unit off-camera via
the slave.  The Vivitar 283 with a Vari-power module is a nice choice, and
avilable readily used.

In any case, you'll have to do the flash calculations the old way, with trial
and error, guide numbers, or flash meters.  The OM-1n won't offer you any flash
solutions.

Now if you decide to buy an autoexposure OM body, you can take advantage of the
TTL flash, which will allow you to control several flashes via the body's
electronics.  THis ensures accurate flash exposure regardless of the flash
placement (as long as you have enough flash power to cover the subject area at
maximum output).  Just realize that you'll spend quite a sum on the individual
doo-dad TTL connectors & cords to make these solutions work.  You can sometimes
find them in used equipment deals.  But I know what I'm talking about here, I
must have 25 pieces of OM TTL flash goodies in my flash box.  THey all work
like a dream though.

Skip