Re: [OM] Shutter lag times

Subject: Re: [OM] Shutter lag times
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:40:16 -0700
<< Does anyone know the shutter lag times for the professional OM
bodies? Surprisingly, I can't find any exact numbers in the archieves,
and I'm sure this is something that has worried quite a few
zuikoholics.... ;-) >>

Not that it is any help across the Atlantic, but one of the USA photo
magazines measured this in leading cameras for a 1980s feature article.
It actually is of importance in vibration control. Minolta published a
graph showing that shutter lag had to be long enough for the harmonic
vibrations from the automatic diaphragm to settle down. That was their
reasoning for not having to worry about the automatic diaphragm as a
source of vibration. Thus, short lag SLRs are theoretically more
vibration prone than long lag ones, like autofocusing models.

BTW, these data are not in the major USA magazine lab tests.

If anyone wants to calculate these, it would be neat material for the OM
Book. Best to add a few reference bodies from other manufacturers.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV