Re: [OM] Shipping from US to Canada

Subject: Re: [OM] Shipping from US to Canada
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:10:30 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Andrew Dacey wrote:

>                       As soon as it arrived, they wanted a pretty hefty
> sum of money. I asked them what it was for (since I'd already paid in full
> for the gear). A small (but seems too high) chunk of that charge was the
> customs fee. I'm not going to even try to challenge that one. The other fee
> was good old HST (15 0n NS). So here's a couple questions:

Andrew, don't worry, you've been hosed appropriately :-)  There's no "error"
in their calculation.

> 1. I thought that for goods coming from out of province you only had to pay
> the federal (GST) portion of the tax, which would be 7%. By doing the math,
> there's no way that what they wanted to charge me was 70nless they've
> either converted the US value incorrectly or the shipper declared a much
> higher value on the items than what I paid.

All items entering Canada are subject to the GST.  Most provinces also have
an agreement with the federal collection agencies (eg. Canada Post) to also
collect provincial taxes.

> 2. Does the tax apply for used goods? The box was clearly marked that the
> items were used.

Yes, it doesn't matter if it's new or used.

> Any advice here? Can I get around paying the tax or am I stuck?

You're stuck.  Either pay it or return the item.
                                -mark