[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2334

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2334
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:33:37 -0500
> newcomers to the system.  And apparently, Olympus did some stores dirty in
> the recent past, which has probably left some store owners with hard
feelings
> (I'd like to hear more about this -- can anyone elaborate??).
> Rich

The owner of a local (Wichita) camera store told me things began to go
downhill with the OM10. I can't recall what the problem was, but the first
10's had some problem that caused them to uniformly fail, as if they had all
received a signal from a central location. For whatever reason, Olympus
determined that this would not be covered by warranty. The store owners
would send the first one or two to Oly, get the bad news, and listen to
irate customers scream and yell. They soon figured they could get the
screaming and yelling without the expense of postage, so customers were
advised to throw the OM10's away, and get something from a responsible
manufacturer. When a new customer arrived to look at Olympus products, the
OM10 story was related, and more often than not, the customer left with a
canon, Nikon, or most likely, a Minolta.

I'm sorry I can't remember what the fault was, perhaps John or Clint can
help here. What I do know is the dealers perceived this as a design or
manufacturing defect common to all early OM10's, and were, to say the least,
steamed over the loss of customers that resulted. This particular dealer
felt that one misguided decision on the part of Olympus management to save
money in the short term was the foundation for their downfall in the system
SLR market.

Bill Pearce