Re: [OM] Collector's Guide.

Subject: Re: [OM] Collector's Guide.
From: "Machiel" <machiel.botman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:03:46 +0200
Kelton, it is very nice how you write about this, I prefer the 'teacher'
side of the matter.  A friend was a photography collector, a very big one,
and he had thousands of prints in drawers and perhaps 10, at the most, on
his walls.  He and I always argued about this, he bought prints from me many
times and I always made fun of him:  "so you can put them in your drawers".
He agreed it was not a very good situation, he actually said that collecting
was a way of killing.
So I vote for a book.  Partly because a book is so much nicer to read, than
a computer to look at.  Mostly because, if done well, a book can have so
much more than we see on the different sites.  All the info on the sites is
great and it would serve as a base of your book.  A real writer could create
something from it all that would be a practical guide, sure, but also
something that would touch the 'idea' of Olympus, which to me is:  Maitani;
a camera (as I believe Hans says) not for snobs; systems (Pen and OM)
designed to be of high quality, but not for an elite; and probably many more
things that the list will come up with.

My opinion is that the key to this is to find a way to hire someone who can
do this, shape everything available to a living object, the book.  And to
find a way to get the philosophy across.  To just do a compilation of the
sites (no matter how good all are) will not work, it will be quite boring.
(I am not applying here, will never have time for this, nor the editorial
skills).

Hoping others will follow up as well, you collect everything, ha! and when
you feel you've got something, you find a way to structure it all.

Machiel