Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)

Subject: Re: Language, Really OT (was [OM] Cricket Match)
From: "John Pendley" <jpendley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:58:04 -0400
> In a message dated 4/9/01 4:47:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jpendley@xxxxxxx
> writes:
> > So the best way for us to "educate our young citizens properly"
> >  is to turn off the TV and put a good book in their hands.  If you have
any
> >  success at doing that, let me know :>}.
>
> I only wish that it were that simple. My hub and I are both voracious
> readers, limited tube time throughout our son's childhood, and he
witnessed
> our love of literature every day. He simply does not enjoy reading per se
for
> recreational purposes. However, he consumes technical magazines and
> information regarding Linux or anything involving computer technology.The
> very thought that I have a child that disdains literature gives me immense
> heartburn.

He may not be reading what you (or I) might prefer him to read, but he *is*
reading.  You can't underestimate the value of what interests a young
reader.  I'll bet he's well ahead of his peers in pure reading skills and
vocabulary even if he might not take to English classes.  Try leaving some
good science fiction lying around and see what happens.
JP