Re: [OM] 24/2 lenshood

Subject: Re: [OM] 24/2 lenshood
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 10:23:22 +0000

Olympus had a rush of blood to the head in the late 80's and produced some
very fine pro grade lenses that stack up against nearly anything made by
other manufacturers.

The last lens they made is the 35-80/2.8 zoom.  It has absolutely
outstanding performance.  It's performance betters or equals that of
equivalent Oly prime lenses.

All the Oly macro lenses are first rate.

IMO, the most useful Zuiko is the 90/2 macro.  A superb performer with
a very wide range of uses.  I think this is the one Zuiko everyone should
try and have in their kit.

The 100/2 is a good substitute if macro is not on the agenda.

The 85/2 is used professionally by at least one famous portrait
photographer so should get a mention.

We seem particularly spoilt in the 80-100mm region.  You could not go
wrong with either a 35-80/2.8, 85/2. 90/2 or 100/2.

Then there are the 180/2 and 250/2 and 350/2.8.  They are all outstanding
performers with the first two being the pick of them IMO

The 50/1.2 is very fine lens stopped down.  One ex list member has had
an image taken with one, included in a National Geographic calendar.

The 28/2, 21/2, 21/3.5, 18/3.5 and 16/3.5 are all top notch performers.

All these lenses are rather expensive.  Check out the B&H web sit for new
prices in US$.  There is a data base of  prices on ebay i am sure someone
can point to.

I happen to know the 180/2 was a bit over A$12,000 and the 250/2 was
around A$18,000 in '96.  With what has happened to the Oz dollar since,
You could probably double or triple those prices in the banana republic.

Giles