Re: [OM] Is this stuff worth fixing?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is this stuff worth fixing?
From: "Chris O'Neill" <coneill@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:43:36 -0600
On 5 Apr 2001, at 23:17, gwsears wrote:

> > My father has 2 Olympus bodies and a couple of lenses for them. I'm
> > wondering if the items that need repair are even worth fixing.
>
> I may be flamed here but i'll go out on a limb and say the single
> digit OMs are always worth a repair unless they are grave yard
> dead. The others can be replaced probably for less than the cost of
> repair.

No flames, George.  I tend to agree that the "consumer" bodies aren't
worth repairing unless it's real simple (and cheap).

The only exception would be if the camera has sentimental value to the
owner.  For instance, I put US$90 into a major overhaul on my OM-10.
Was it worth it?  Financially, of course not!  I could have bought 'nuther
one for less than that.  But, that's my original OM camera, and it took
all the pictures of my kids when they were growing up.  So, because
that camera holds so many memories for me, the repair was "worth"
every nickel it cost me.

So, Andrew, if it's simply a financial decision, it's probably not worth the
cost.  But, if your father looks at those cameras and many fond
memories come to mind, then maybe it is "worth" fixing them up?  Only
your father can answer that one, after he's been appraised of the
financial cost of the repairs.

Just my CDN$0.02 (US$nothing!) worth.

Regards,

Chris