Re: [OM] Aperture on Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Aperture on Zuiko 35-105/3.5~4.5
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 19:42:23 +0000
At 21:36 4/5/01, Frieder Faig wrote:
Hmm, I can only speak of my 35-105, and I can`t confirm this test. My 35-105 has a auto diaphragm mechanism which works as expected (like on all other Zuikoo`s I own). The viewing apperture is always the max. aperture, no matter of the position of the diaphragm ring. Only when I zoom from 35mm to 105mm, the viewing apperture changes from F/3.5 -> F/4.5. Ahmm, closing the diaphragm one stop is turning teh apperture ring from F/3.5 -> 5.6, or am I getting something wrong?

Frieder Faig

Ummm . . . mine, a multi-coated S/N 106###, behaves the same as yours. No difference in viewfinder brightness stopping down from f/3.5 -> f/5.6 at either 35mm or 105mm.

As I understand the 35-105mm f/3.5~4.5 zoom:
The aperture only varies wide open at the f/3.5 marking, and it only varies from f/3.5 to f/4.5 as you zoom from 35mm to 105mm, due to the magnification difference. All the other apertures, f/5.6 to f/22, are accurate at any focal length. My OM metering confirms this as do accurate transparency exposures using manual exposure control.

Note:
The exception to this is use of the "Close Focus" ring, which is really a 5mm (approximately) extension tube. In the "Close Focus" position, the effective aperture numbers will be slightly higher because of the extension. It's also to be expected when using any form of extension with any lens, prime or zoom.

-- John