Re: [OM] Resetting an OM-4

Subject: Re: [OM] Resetting an OM-4
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 22:19:52 +0000
At 02:11 4/4/01, Chris O'Neill wrote:
Thanks for that info, Clinton.  Apparently, all it does when you fire the
shutter is the mirror jumps up and stays there, and it beeps at you.
Sounds kinda like what some of the double-digit bodies do when they
have sticky magnets.  Does the OM-4 have that kinda problems, too, or
is this maybe something else?

Thanks, again, for any help you can provide.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,
This is also a classic symptom of low batteries. Mine, even with the "beep" feature turned off, fires the mirror and the red LED goes nuts with rapid flashing (no beeping). Resets by turning the shutter speed ring into one of the red shutter speeds. Replacing the cells with good new ones cures it. On a couple of occasions, low cells were discovered when using the self-timer which draws more on the cells than normal shutter firing does.

First time it happened to me was the day I bought it . . . and thought for certain something was desperately wrong (read: broken)! After a few minutes it dawned on me that it just might be the batteries. BTW, I have gotten bad cells twice in the past . . . ones that I later concluded had to be well past shelf life when I bought them.

-- John