Re: [OM] Auto Extension Tube Question

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto Extension Tube Question
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:05:01 +1100
>At 05:29 3/31/01, Michael Versinger wondered if this was normal:
>>I just received a 7 and 14mm Olympus extension tube and I have a quick
>>question. While the 14mm has a spring that returns the lever that closes
>>down the aperture, the 7mm does not. Both seem to work properly and do
>>operate the aperture mechanism when the shutter fires. I was wondering if
>>there is a problem with the 7mm not having a spring return. Is this normal?
>
>I have a 7mm Oly Auto Tube.  No spring return.  Also have the Vivitar AT-21
>set of three auto tubes in OM mount (12/20/36mm).  The AT-21's shortest
>tube, the 12mm, doesn't have any spring returns either.  I've always
>presumed that the shortness of these two tubes either prevented designing a
>spring return in them, or made one unnecessary.  Both work just fine; been
>using them for some time.
>
>-- John

Same - 7 doesn't, 14 and 21 do. I thought it was a space problem for a
while but then, what if the 7 is so thin and puts so little stress on the
lens mechanism that a spring is unecessary. The larger sizes may simply be
too much for the spring in the lens to operate them and so have auxilliary
springs.
AndrewF