Re: [OM] focus - off

Subject: Re: [OM] focus - off
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:46:41 -0800
At 2:14 PM +0000 3/30/01, Alan wrote:
One thing I've noticed is that I consistently focus just behind the subject.
I've observed this with several images now taken with different bodies.
Assuming my bodies are correct -- is there a reasonable explanation for this
and a easy adjustment (beyond my hitting my head against the wall and muttering
"Remember to focus infront of the subject; remember to focus infront of the
subject; ...."

As a general rule I'd prefer the foreground to be sharp not hte background so
this is ESP annoying (to me) and in addition it has caused several pictures
(which I thought would have been nice) to turn out rather less then nice.

Oddly I also had this same thing happen with a rangefinder :(

(my bodies other then the 70's classis rf are mostly om).

Alan

Presuming this happens with more than one camera maybe you want to look at how you focus. It is easy to place the nearest vertical edge in the picture, like the silhouette of the back of the head, in the split image rangefinder, rather that focussing on the eyes, if that is your goal. If attention to that does not help and it is a continuing problem you might want to dump the split image part of the screen and get an all ground glass or just a center microprism spot type focussing screen.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA