Re: [OM] [OT] English - was Cricket Match

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] English - was Cricket Match
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:38:35 -0800
At 12:16 PM +0000 3/30/01, Olaf Greve wrote:
Hi,

Interestting (though OT) thread....
I had always understood it as the following:

The English language is made up of a mixture of European languages:
certainly German but also French, Dutch, Norwegian, Danish, Latin,
(even some Old English), you name it. It's because we were invaded so
many times and we so admired those who conquered us that we adopted
their spoken tongues! <G>

AFAIK German, English, Danish, Dutch, Flemish and Frisian(?) are all Germanic languages (just like e.g. French, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian and Italian are Romanic languages). The differences between the various different Romanic languages seem to be a bit less than between the Germanic languages, granted German, Dutch, and Flemish do actually have a lot of similarities.

Then, as for English, from what I've understood, indeed it has quite some influences from Latin and especially French, actually, I once heard that about 1/3 of English deriviates from French. Dutch too has some very typical influences from German, French and English.

I was interested to learn that, when the Founding Fathers selected what should be their national language, English won by *only one* vote. I guess England was out of favour at the time. Second most popular choice was German. So (assuming this to be true), if one Founding Father had voted differently, German would now be the international language.

Regarding this, I have heard the same, but with one difference: I had heard that the second language was actually Dutch, but I'm not 100ertain... Does anyone know this for sure?

Anyway, I might be off too in all of the above statements, this is just what I had heard from it, and I certainly didn't get all this information from end-all, be-all sources....

Cheers!
Olafo

You are probably right about the Dutch part since most of New York was settled by Dutch speaking people. Many Americans continue to confuse deutsch and dutch, calling the people in Pennsylvania of German heritage, "Pennsylvania Dutch."

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California, USA