Re: is this kit stolen property? was Re: [OM] Application for membership

Subject: Re: is this kit stolen property? was Re: [OM] Application for membership of the Doris Fang club
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 20:53:23 +1100
 Wonder how much the poor
>> guy
>> > got who pawned it in the first place....
>> >
>> > regards
>> > Roger Key

Pawn shops aren't the only villains! I just watched a bit of robbery in
progress. A middle-aged man brought a bag full of Oly gear into the camera
shop where I was trawling through their bins - I know them well. My ears
pricked up. They drew me into the conversation to confirm that the the
rather scruffy OM40 was not a good trade-in for them as they 'can be'
unreliable although quite a nice camera. Fair enough. Unfortunately, the
poor fellow had the biggest collection of off-brand lenses I've ever seen
but, he did have a Tokina ATX 80-200mm f2.8 in mint condition which he said
he'd used just three times. They gave him US$100 for it (after they looked
it up and realised that the current model was worth nearly $900 here.
I did consider suggesting that I offer it here, after the mark had left,
but then realised that one of the two sharks involved is an Oly user and
it's going straight to his home without touching the counter. On the other
side, a smart customer lumbered them with a really dud Leica R7 trade in
the other day so it's a swings and roundabouts situation.
AndrewF