Re: [OM] Batteries -- arrgh.

Subject: Re: [OM] Batteries -- arrgh.
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 01:20:35 EST
mike1964@xxxxxxxxx writes:

<< I'm confused.  The $2 vs. $1.50 was the exact same cells.  Same capacity .
 Are there higher capacity NiCads in the 1/3 AA size I'm missing?

A subtle point: often the high capacity cells are a little less long lived
than the lower capacity (and higher temperature cells). This is because the
plate seperators are made very thin in the high capacity cells to maximise
material on the plates. One of the main ways the cells fail is shorting
through the seperator. So thick seprator = more reliable all else being
equal. In reality some other things come into play like how spongy they can
make the plate surface to increase area etc. The high temperature cells are
made with a thick (often polypropylene film) seperator and since the cells
heat at the end of charge they do better with fast charging too. Fast charge
cells also may have a slightly different relative size of plates to improve
recombination efficiency of the gas back to electrolyte in overcharge.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes