Re: [OM] WANTED: Base/switch for Winder 2

Subject: Re: [OM] WANTED: Base/switch for Winder 2
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 02:48:20 +0000
At 05:45 3/24/01, Chris O'Neill wrote:
Neither of the winders is currently working.  No, I didn't break them...
they came that way.  The person who provided me with these parts said
one of them works if it's put back together, but I can't remember which
one.  So, consider them both as parts.

Chris,
Just out of curiosity, have you tried cleaning the battery contacts on the battery holder and the pair of tabs inside the base?

I thought my winder was faulty, possibly the switch, when I noted the battery contacts were oxidized (??). Cleaned (more correctly, burnished) them thoroughly with the hard, slightly more aggressive eraser on the end of a pen. The contacts on the end of the battery holder are easy, but you need something that will reach the ones inside the base too. An old typing eraser would work also . . . one in the shape of a pencil so you can reach the contacts inside the base. Go after the battery contacts inside the battery holder too. Be certain to blow out all the eraser dust afterward.

After a complete burnishing of all the contacts it now functions flawlessly. The problem was the increased resistance through them was enough voltage drop that the winder would not work occasionally. The clue for me was trying the external battery holder with power cord that plugs into the middle of the switch. The winder never had a problem with the external battery holder.

-- John