Re: Re: [OM] 180 2.8 on Ebay Is: MD1 vs MD2

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] 180 2.8 on Ebay Is: MD1 vs MD2
From: "Hans van Veluwen" <hcvanveluwen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:31:42 +0100
: I do have more than I need, but my problem is the batteries.  I have a set
: of the NiMH to rebuild a pack, but just haven't gotten to it, and worse,
: I've lost the link to the instructions.  Maybe this will motivate me if
: someone sends me the link.

That would be the Oly repair FAQ:

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/camrep.faq.html#ques_O3
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/camrep.faq.html#ques_O4

: > The price for a MD1 certainly is more attractive than a MD2 as well. I
: > suppose my primary question is WRT reliability. Assuming I were to get a
: > MD1 in decent shape (batteries aside) is it reasonable to expect
: > reliable performance and what problems do they develop as they age?

I bought my MD1 in NIB condition from Jaap Korten (Wide Angle); I think he's ran
out of them - he had quite a few of them. Currently I only see a condition 9 MD1
for USD95 (about twice the amount I paid for mine...). No Control Pack or Grip
included for these prices. I think good (9/10 condition) MD1's are not difficult
to find, but Control Packs are.

The Control Pack modification, btw, is not very difficult. All you need is two
screwdrivers, aceton/nail polish remover (to dissolve the glue that holds the
metal single/off/continuous plate) and a soldering iron; it can be fixed in an
hour. I got my 9V NiMh batteries from Conrad.

hnz