Re: [OM] travel & photography in Nevada?

Subject: Re: [OM] travel & photography in Nevada?
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:57:35 -0800
Hi James:

In general, probably not a good season yet for east central and
northeast Nevada. It's pretty well snowed in at the elevations of the
spots you mention.

<< Ruby Mtn. Scenic area >>

I've backpacked it in my college days. There is an impressive alpine
lake at the trail pass, with great, clear vistas. Bushwacking around it
on the rocky ridge is a visual and botanical treat. You will see on the
latest Nevada State Highway Map a pix of the Lamoille Canyon road that
leads there. Best in late spring when the flowers are blooming.  Now
there would be nothing but plowed snow, if its even plowed. Really
demands a day hike, at least.

<< Great Basin Nat'l park >>

Best in fall when the aspen change. I doubt the road is open all the way
up. It goes through subalpine at its highest stretches, with Bristlecone
Pine woodlands, a glacier and ragged peaks and ridges reminiscent of the
Sawtooths in Idaho. The two-track roads to the south have great back
country camping. This was originally a Nat. Monument, based around a
cave, which I've yet to tour. Very limited accomodations in Baker.
Between there and Ely are elk wintering grounds which I just have to get
back to for telephoto elk shots. Great living ghost town shots in
Pinoche. Some state historical sites around that region offer shots of
old settlements, including the beehive looking kilns for making
charcoal.

I'd concentrate on Utah landscapes with snowy mountain backgrounds, like
Arches (LaSal Mtns), Capitol Reef down near the Burr Trail (Henry
Mtns.), and Zion NP's lower county. Slot canyons with water are still
out of bounds due to hypothermia. If the road to Dead Horse Point S.P.
is open, it is probably beautiful this time of the year. Here in Vegas
the snow level starts at 7000 feet.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV