Re: [OM]

Subject: Re: [OM]
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 16:49:06 -0400

"Timpe, Jim" wrote:

> Who says there's nothing in a name...
>
> Note the title of this camera, and then that it's located on the campus of
> the University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
>
> Freshmen students are required to carry around a little red book...
>
> http://www.kgw.com/livecams/red_square.html

As a strange bit of trivia (and to actually use my degree in Russian
Studies for something), the origin of the Moscow Red Square has nothing
to do with the colour red. Red was considered a particularly beautiful
colour and so krasnoi meant both beautiful and red. So Krasnaya
Ploschad' originally meant "beautiful square". Over time, the language
changed and krasnoi evolved into only meaning red while other words came
into use to mean beautiful (such as krasivoi, which shares the same root
as krasnoi).

Now then, to bring this tangent back onto a photographic topic, if you'd
like to see some pictures of the real Red Square (Moscow), check out the
photos section of my homepage. Sorry, no OM content as the pictures were
taken using my C*n*n system (when I get gainful employment I'll start on
an OM collection).

--
Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx