Re: [OM] T-32 Foot crack

Subject: Re: [OM] T-32 Foot crack
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 12:03:25 +1100
>John Hermanson wrote:
>>
>> Crazy glue will get into the spring loaded contacts in the shoe and make
>> them non-working.  Then the shoe will break again along the same line that
>> was glued.
>
>What about the possibility of plastic cement (aka polystyrene (sp?)
>cement)? The glue actually melts the plastic, doesn't do a thing to
>metal (it's a bit sticky so it might gum something up a bit but it's
>been awhile since I've used any). I've found that it works quite
>effectively depending on the plastic used. I've had good luck when the 2
>pieces are of the same plastic. Mixing different plastics doesn't seem
>to work as well.
>Andrew "Frugal" Dacey,

This type of repair is much better as it 'welds' the plastic. Some plastic
'glues' are simply liquid solvents that melt the plastic and allow two
surfaces to blend. Trouble is, you have to get the correct type for each
different resin and that can be difficult. If you could identify the resin
type, applying a very small amount into the crack and then clamping should
make a strong repair.
Andrew