[OM] Is my OM-1 meter fried?

Subject: [OM] Is my OM-1 meter fried?
From: Michael Darling <cosmo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 16:33:24 -0500
Hello all, this is my first post to this list...

I had to finish a photo project for class last week and my trusty old varta
625(mercury) battery died, so I replaced it with an alkaline for the
remainder of my project and compensated for the 3 stop error with the ASA
dial (3 days or so).

>From reading the tech pages on www.zuiko.com, I was under the impression
that this would do no permanent harm... However now that I have a stock of
fresh mercury batteries, there is a 2.5 stop difference between the OM1 and
my OM2.  My gossen light meter agrees with the OM2...

DID I FRY MY OM1?  Can this be fixed?  For 400 speed film I have to set the
ASA dial to the blank position between 1600 and 25.  It works, but I'd like
to see it working the way it did...

Thanks in advance,

Mike