Re: [OM] RE: An update on the condition of my sick lenses and a request

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: An update on the condition of my sick lenses and a request fo r ...
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 05:14:09 EST
Olaf,
       in theory you could use a high power electronic flash to irradiate
your fungi. I have an old EPROM (UV erasable memory chips) eraser that is
just a flash with a small focused quartz window. Unfortunately I don't know
how much UV the clear plastic flash cover of a consumer flash absorbs, but
high power flash tubes produce a lot of UV. The low power ones use glass
tubes so they absorb most of the UV.   If you have an embeded software
programming friend they often have old EPROM UV lamps that produce lots of
very bad "actinic" UV wavelengths that should kill anything. The plastic
drawers on the edge of these devices do craze over years of use but it does
not seem to cause shorter term damage, so I guess the plastic on your lens
should be safe.

                  Regards,
                 Tim Hughes