[OM] RE: An update on the condition of my sick lenses and a request fo r

Subject: [OM] RE: An update on the condition of my sick lenses and a request fo r some advice.
From: Erwin Voogt <erwin.voogt@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 10:51:18 +0100
Cc: j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx, bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx, cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx, o.greve@xxxxxxx
Hi Olaf,

> 1) Can anyone tell me whether exposing the lens to (strong) UV light will
> absolutely not damage any other parts (such as coating) of the lens?

This is highly unlikely.
Some plastics don't like UV (and visible light) but the metaloxide coatings
should have no problems with intense UV.

> 2) Will a regular "blacklight TL" bar provide the correct type of UV light

> (I'm aware of the fact that there is both UV-A and UV-B radiation in sun
> light, but I'm not certain which type(s) the blacklight emits, nor which
> type I should use to kill the fungus)?

Try an old-fashion solarlamp of the 60s or 70s. Lots of unhealthy UVB comes
from those things!

> 3) If a regular blacklight will do the trick: how long should I more or
less
> expose the lens to it?

I have no idea. One hour in front of such a lamp will give you a first class
sunburn and an 100hange of skincancer, but maybe fungi have less or may
be more problems with the UV.

Another suggestion:
Spices are exposed to gamma rays to kill the fungi...

Good luck!

Bye,
Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands