Re: Skins was Re: [OM] thoughts on ...etc.........

Subject: Re: Skins was Re: [OM] thoughts on ...etc.........
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:08:28 -0800
Actually, since most lenses are already manufactured from Aluminium alloys,
Titanium ones would most likely be HEAVIER. Yes folks, Titanium is heavier than
aluminium in equal dimensions. Ti lenses could be made incredibly durable
though. With good desing the weight would probably be equal to a conventional
lens, but you wouldn't like the price!

Jim

Dirk Wright wrote:

> But, speaking of titanium, why, or why, has no manufacturer, at least to my
> knowledge, every made the lens bodies from the stuff? Lenses are a
> significant part of the total weight of the camera.
>
> It seems to me that the top and bottom body covers are not a significant
> contributor to the weight of the body, so the real reason for using it is to
> prevent dents. If the internal castings of the bodies were made from cast
> magnesium instead of aluminum, there would probably be a more significant
> weight saving. I understand that several new cameras have magnesium bodies,
> maybe the E-10 does? I think there is a new, more economical way to use
> magnesium that was invented recently, I'll have to research it. I also think
> that there's a new, less expensive process for making parts from titanium
> also. Here's hoping.....
> --
> Be Seeing You.
> Dirk Wright